the old man is snoring, indeed

Holy key-riced. Seattlites are no pussies when it comes to rain, but that shit last night was UN. BUH. LIEVable. I mean, let's perspectivize this ... it's no national disaster. But it was nuts --- take a look at these photos. Or these. 4 deaths have been linked to the flash flooding & high winds. One woman was trapped in her windowless basement and couldn't get out because the force of the water blocked the door. That is not cool. I can't think about it too hard, or I want to cry.

I had it easy. I left work early at about 3:45p for my personal training session, and while the bus was a little late, traffic wasn't too bad that early (even considering the Hawks game). And of course, it was only reasonable rain at that point. Halfway from work to lower Queen Anne, the floodgates of heaven opened and got stuck. I have never seen rain like that here, and maybe not even back east. Walking just 2 blocks from the bus to the gym, I had to cross Taylor Ave. (at the eastside bottom of QA Hill), and it was a river. A very shallow river, but FAST and up to my ankles. Good-bye, brown leather shoes. I really liked you while I had you.

While working out, Cody & I kept looking out at the gridlocked traffic, and kept seeing the same cars for almost the whole hour. The gym is about a block away from 99, 1/2-mi. north of the Mercer tunnel/underpass. Which was flooded. Those pictures I linked too above have some amazing shots of cars submerged up to the windows. CrAzY, dude.

So I figured my normal bus wasn't coming, and I sloshed up to Seattle Center to catch a more direct bus, and hopefully get luckier further away from 99. As I round the corner, not even half a block from the bus stop ... the #2 is pulling away. "Fuck!" I mutter, and then "Oh, hooray!" Because the bus had just nosed it's way into the flow of cars, but no further -- because the traffic was craptastic and the light had just turned red. YAY! So I run up, and knock on the door. The driver doesn't hear me. I take my gloves off and knock again. And a third. Finally, on the 4th knocking, he barely turns his head to me and shakes it. No. He's not letting me on the bus. Even though he's completely stopped, not even out of the bus zone, AND his coach was HALF EMPTY. Asshat. And yes, I did get the coach number. Fuckwad.

So I took the next bus. 65 minutes later. Normally I would have walked up QA hill. Not a joy, but not too bad since I started getting fit. However, I was loaded down with packages that I'd cleverly had delivered to my work instead of home. Fucking yeah. Awesome. Way to go.

No power at our place today, nor at about a million other residences. I'm at work. Warm and dry, but unshowered. Could be worse. Could be much, much worse.

I hope you are all safe & warm.

Comments

Christopher said…
Yes, safe & warm (power is back on at my place too), and looking forward to taking a shower myself.

Popular posts from this blog

... and a gun to go with it

de plane! de plane!

well, just don't