deadly day

A lone gunman opened fire this morning in 2 separate shootings at Virginia Tech. It's all over the news channels, or you can google it and find it easy. I can't link to it, because I can't watch it anymore.

VA Tech is my alma mater. It's where I became a fledgling adult. It's where I met & fell in love with my former husband. It's where I learned to drink a whole bottle of Andre pink blush champagne in an evening at a party. It's where I learned to be a real actor. It's where I fell in love with Shakespeare. It's where I learned how to express what was inside of me. It's where I learned how not to by shy. It's where I learned that the world was bigger than I was.

This on top of all the senseless lives lost in ones & twos & soldiers & civilians all over the world.

I am unspeakably sad.

Comments

Christopher said…
Ugh, it's one of those days where you just don't want to say anything, because what can you say? Everything else seems pretty inane and superficial in comparison.

I'm hoping you didn't know anyone there, but still, you've probably walked through those halls dozens of times, if not more, and I imagine it's difficult to not think about what all those poor people went through. Terrible, just terrible.

Take Care.
(egg) said…
Thanks, Chris. Many of my professors are still there, but I've had word that no-one I know was directly involved.

It's strange, because the tragedy is not really mine to "own" since I've not laid eyes on the place since the 90s. I have no desire to claim access to grief that rightfully belongs with the students, faculty, staff & especially friends & families of all the victims.

But it's a place I have loved, and it is eerie to see & recognize the buidlings and know that I went to countless dorm parties in West Ambler Johnson and had countless classes in or next to Norris Hall.

Today is a day for reflection in a psychic limbo.

Popular posts from this blog

... and a gun to go with it

de plane! de plane!

well, just don't