hear me roar

FACT: There are more female actors than male. FACT: There aren't as many parts written for women as men. FACT: The pecentage of "quality" roles narrows down the field even farther in comparison.

Every actress in every city in every format in every genre knows this line up & down. Most of the time, we (actresses) know each other through auditions - and, of course, almost always reading for the same roles. Can you imagine the company meeting the first day? There was about 100 people in the room, introducing themselves and what they do. "Peggy Gannon, actress." 16 of us out of 100, "So-and-so, actress." Not an "actor" to be found. I cannot tell you how thrilling it was ... you don't know you've been missing it until you get it. And in spades, baby! Sixteen beautiful, talented women, most of whom I've watched and admired for countless years.

I've been very lucky in this regard - I've been in several all-female shows in the last few years, and it looks like I've got another one coming up this year. The difference is subtle but extraordinary without male actors in the room. I'm not sure I can even put my finger on it enough to explain it to you in words. A different energy? Certainly a different style of communication.

Comments

Christopher said…
Oh c'mon, the answer is easy:

Less Testosterone!
JJisafool said…
FACT: There are more female actors than male.

FACT: This is because more women are too lazy to get real jobs.

FACT: There aren't as many parts written for women as men.

FACT: ...because women are inherently less interesting.

FACT: The pecentage of "quality" roles narrows down the field even farther in comparison.

FACT: Melvin Udall said it best when he said "I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

FACT: I am totally fucking with you and this was WAY too much fun. I even feel a little sweaty and dirty.
Christopher said…
You may want to sit down, but I was actually at an audition the other evening - as a director, not as an actor mind you - where the men slightly outnumbered the women.

In fairness, however, I should note that only one or two of the people in attendance were experienced actors, so it's probably not as much of an abberation as it might appear at first.
Tina Rowley said…
Oh, mama. I am so excited. I've booked my tickets. We're coming on the 14th. Watch out. Can't wait.
(egg) said…
Comte -- Maybe that's the exception that proves the rule.

Tina -- Hooray! I think you'll love it. It's going to be really really good.

Popular posts from this blog

... and a gun to go with it

de plane! de plane!

well, just don't