shaking things up

So I have another audition tomorrow. Funny, yeah? (How's that no-acting thing going? Oh, good, ya know; getting by.)

A different show, but the same company; they cast for their whole season all at once. It's a director I've always admired but never worked with, a playwright that I really like a ton, and the theatre (of which I'm a fan) is blocks from my home. That's what they call a win-win, people. They called me in for 2 different roles. After reading the play (which is really good - another win), I did something I've never ever done before in the history of auditioning ... I told them I was not interested in reading for one of the roles, and that I wouldn't be preparing those sides. It's not a bad part, but it didn't intrigue or stimulate me. In fact, the thought of auditioning for this role and and the small possibility that I could be cast in it was making me feel like ditching the audition altogether, even though I really like the other role I'll be reading for. So I told 'em.

When I viewed acting as my vocation, I wouldn't have done this. Being in a play was better than not being in a play, right? Not to mention that actors are trained to say "yes please you bet absolutely." Viewing acting as an avocation (which - truly? - is how my bank account has viewed it all along), has freed me up to ask, "Will this be better than going out to dinner with my sweetheart, or going hiking, or skipping out of town for the weekend, or sitting on my butt on the couch when I wanna, or finally playing Fallout3, or making jewelry in my garage?" If the answer is a clear yes or no, I know what to do. If the answer is a greyer shade of conditional, now I get to be upfront and negotiate for my conditions to be met. Like an equal adult and prospective venture partner, as opposed to an infantalized dime-a-dozen-actor.

Comments

Basil said…
You speak hella truth. Nice job and break a leg!
Unknown said…
Good for you! It's nice to have a different perspective on the whole thing and focus on the gigs you that truly interest you. Hope you get the role; you know I love your work!
Unknown said…
Oops, ignore that extra random "you" in there.

It's all about you. Really. :)

Popular posts from this blog

... and a gun to go with it

de plane! de plane!

well, just don't