beauteous mankind

I love inside jokes. The whole concept of them. I mean - the jokes I don't always (ie. almost never) get. And I for sure think that inside jokes should hardly ever (ie. never) be aired in a public forum.* But I'm talking about those private inside jokes that aren't usually even jokes --- they're more a shorthand for "I love you, I get you, we have a shared experience that means something pretty cool and we both know what it is, even if we could never explain why if pressed." Phrases and exchanges that are not meant to exclude outsiders but to share a wink with insiders. They are not even meant to be overheard by others; indeed, often you might be mildly (but not unpleasantly) embarrassed to realize you were witnessed in such an exchange. Usually they involve a small group (e.g. a couple or my mom, dad & me), and in rarer circumstances a larger group that has a very close and long-term bond (e.g. Bald Faced Lie, or a football team, I guess).

When I am accidentally privileged to overhear or witness such an exchange, I am captured by the efficiency and wonder of human connection. It makes me smile a secret smile. We are a complicated species.

*Say, in a sketch comedy show, for instance. Jokes that are created at a bar or a party are usually advised to stay there. Seriously, dudes - your friends don't even think it's that funny after 2 or 3 repeats.**

**I should know, having propagated perpetrated AT LEAST one evening's worth of bar jokes on unsuspecting audiences (luckily not all on the same evening) ... Model Airplane Building, anyone? You know who you are.

In other news, today I realized that I have been usuing "ie." and "e.g." incorrectly forEVER. I had them backwards. DUH. That'll teach me. Something.

To use them correctly, I guess.

Comments

Christopher said…
I believe your usage of "propagate" would be correct, in that you may have perhaps "started the ball rolling" so-to-speak by instigating an inside joke that then caused other inside jokes to come into being as a result.

And yeah, the whole e.g./i.e. thing - tricky, tricky.
(egg) said…
Aha. That's possible, but maybe not exactly what I meant. But I'm gonna leave it lie --- I like the idea of BFL being the Mama Alien who spawned countless generations of absurd and indecipherible inside jokes. Inaccurate but delightful.
Anonymous said…
I think you are misusing "propagate." I only point this out because you asked. I think you mean "foist" or perhaps "perpetrate." You do not propagate on somebody. Well, you could, but it would in most instances be considered very rude.

And yes, bands are very prone to inside jokes, which is fine as long as they don't inject too many of them into their between-song banter. In fact, between-song banter is generally of questionable entertainment value anyway (which is why nobody refers to the songs as the "between-banter music.") But musicians want to be comedians and comedians want to be musicians and Everybody Wants To Rule the World, so whatareyougonnado?

I know I am implicating myself for foisting a whole lot of bizarre and not-very-entertaining blather on audiences in the form of said banter, but sometimes you've gotta fill time while the banjo player tunes.
Basil said…
I would argue, Banjo, that some well-placed banter can make the live experience much more satisfying. See also: Robyn Hitchcock, Paul Rucker, Moby (ha!).
Maybe it's just a solo artist thing...

Also, egg, are you saying that you personally have a long-term bond with an entire football team? Just please tell me it's not the Buffalo Bills.

Can I see you in the punching tent later?
(egg) said…
B -- let's just say that I'll be REAL BUSY after this weekend either consoling or celebrating with someone(s). That's all I can say.
Anonymous said…
Basil: "Awesome" frequently has very funny between-song banter. However, as much of your membership consists of former sketch comedians, I consider that cheating. Cheater!
Basil said…
Are you kidding, Banjo? The only fomer sketch comedians who come to our shows HAVE to because they're IN THE BAND. All our sketch friends hate us, everyone knows that.
But yes, we are still cheaters in general.

Egg, when you're done celebrating/consoling, I'm gonna punch you. And I think you know where...
EVK4 said…
I have an inside joke that I keep to myself, but I ALWAYS feel really cool when I think it.

Popular posts from this blog

... and a gun to go with it

de plane! de plane!

well, just don't